Tuesday, July 26, 2011

simply put

Products. Boy. Do. I. Love. Products. I have come to realize that I have a problem. Hello, my name is Megan, and I am addicted to products. It can be anything- make up, hair, cleaning, whatever. Why is it so tempting to buy a product that you read about in magazines? I mean, if People says Kate Hudson uses this product to get her hair so gorgeous in only 4 minutes I am sold. Why is this? Hmm..

It all got started a few weeks ago when I was cleaning out the bathroom cabinets and threw away a huge trash bag of half-full, barely used bottles of things I bought to try and either didn't like or just never really used. I thought to myself, how ridiculous is this? I have wasted so much money buying things that I see on t.v., hear about from others, or read about in magazines. Is it necessary to have all of this? Why not find 1 item you like and stick to it?

That is why there is a change a comin' in the Adams' household. We are simplifying the way we live. Maybe not in all areas but at least some. Everyone has to start somewhere, right? Up first was the bathroom supplies. I got rid of all my unused hair products and am down to shampoo, conditioner, leave-in conditioner, and hairspray. No more buying products just to try, I will just use what I have. Real simple. As for makeup (which I have never been big on), I have very few things in my bag-powder, combined blush/bronzer, eyeliner, and mascara. That's it. That's all I need.
Check out my bag. It feels great to be so condensed. (ps- I have switched to organic make up -Physician's Formula- and it is wonderful! My face feels fresh and clean all the time!)
We also have an over abundance of cleaning supplies.
but wait there's more...
and that's not it...
We have a product for everything- something to clean the stove, something to clean the shower, something to clean the sink, something to clean dishes, something to clean floor.... the list continues. This is the second wave of the simplifying process. After we empty the bottles we currently have (we didn't want to be wasteful and throw them all out), we are changing to an all-in-one cleaner. Actually there will probably be two. I am currently researching the options but here is what I think we have it narrowed down to. Dr. Bronner's Magic Pure Castile Classic Soap and Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day All Purpose Cleaner. These are both cleaners that can be diluted and adapted for whatever it is that needs cleaning. I cannot wait for the day that all of those cleaning products are replaced with 1 little bottle. I think angels are going to be singing. All cleaning supplies will fit in one basket tucked away in the laundry room. Everything you need in one place. More details to come when all of this comes to fruition.

I have been replacing, and will replace, everything with a natural or organic product. I love the way it feels to be eco-consious and not have to worry about the chemicals that are constantly surrounding us. Yes, these products tend to be more pricy but I will be buying less (thanks to a reduction in binge buying). So, in the long run, we are actually saving money and being more protective of our health.

Lastly, I know I already covered the bathroom but there is one I didn't mention. I had to work up the courage to talk about this to you. It is the most rediculous of them all...

I give you...my nail polish collection....
Who needs 30 bottles of nail polish? I'm not exaggerating folks. Count 'Em. There's 30!!!
There is something about a shimmery color in a little bottle that makes my heat putter. I just love painted nails in all shades. Is it just me? Tell me its not. I would hate to think I am weird. :) This is an issue that I am going to have to combat slowly. No "that's it, I'm done" solution here. I will keep you updated on what I decide. As for now, I am getting rid of a few bottles (is 2 enough?).

Isn't it crazy how we can get wrapped up in all of this stuff? This "simplifying" process is carrying over into other areas also. I have never been one to keep a lot of stuff but boy let me tell you, I am throwing stuff away like crazy. I have taken clothes to the donation box, have stuff packed to go to Goodwill, and the recycle pick-up may need to stop by more than every other week for the next few weeks. IT FEELS AWESOME!

I am excited about this change. I think it is something that I have been wanting to do for quite a while but never had the gumption to just do it. Well now is the time ladies and gents! I'll keep you posted on the changes we make in our household. Any changes going on in your place?

* Sorry about the rambling in this post. It is hard to put into words exactly how freeing it is to make life simpler. :)

3 comments:

  1. I love it Megan! I am that way with clothes. I try to clean out every now and then and give away whatever I haven't worn in a year. It is a great feeling to get rid of that unneeded stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely can relate to the whole product addiction. It's so hard to walk into Target and not buy 5 bottles of cleanser/mousse/nail polish/everything! Take your time on the nail polish- over the past year I've purged down to 3 colors! Woohoo! And yeah, Mallory's got it right with the clothes.

    Oh and Dr. Bronners is awesome. You can even use that as shampoo and body wash and you're down even two more products! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know!!!! 18 uses, right?!?! :)

    ReplyDelete