Sunday, July 24, 2011

Summer Fun

It’s been a while but I’m back! We have been in full summer mode (well Kyle has, I have sadly been at work as normal) and boy do I have updates for you! We just recently got back from a quick getaway to Chicago-we had a blast! I’ll be back with a separate post on that trip for you soon. Until then, here are some happenings around the Adams’ household to tide you over.

We have had our DIY hats on a lot recently. I have the urge to redo the ENTIRE house, which is obviously not an option. So in an attempt to make our home feel the way we would like it to, we have decided to do small changes on a small budget. Of course, a small budget leads to lots DIY projects-which I love- so here are some of the projects we’ve done. (It is also important to note that we only rent our house so we are trying to get the “homey” feel we want without doing anything permanent-painting, etc.… I am sure that all of you fellow renters out there sympathize with that. J)

We made this coffee table for our living room together. What we had before was a hand-me down that worked fine but wasn’t necessarily our style. We had switched it out with an ottoman but that still wasn’t the right look. We decided to make this table with a stained top and almond colored base ourselves since it is more along the look that we wanted. It should be noted that it isn’t the sturdiest table ever (my dad said we should invest in a square for straighter legs), but it isn’t too bad for our first attempt.

I have also been in the process of re-doing the den/ugly-mirrored room/ my desk area (which I never use because I would rather be sprawled out on the couch). You may remember it here before.

I am in the process of making a pallet bed (a mixture of several that I have been eyeing on Pinterest). Kyle graciously brought me home 6 pallets from the dumpster at his school (he knew I was looking for some for free). We then sanded and screwed them together and added four casters on the bottom so it can roll around. I still need to make a cushion seat for the top and recover the pillows, but here is the beginning stage.

I also had a pink filing cabinet that I spruced up with modge podged drawers using scrapbook paper, a spray painted shell, and braided twine drawer pulls.

* Any ideas to hide a hideous surge protector? I need it, BAD!

I made some new curtains for the mirror. I had put out a search party for navy and white striped curtains with no luck. I give a big thanks to Ikea for having cheap flat sheets to make this project possible.

I have also added a few new accessories here and there in this room. I still need a rug and to finish the wall collage for above me desk that I have planned.

*Any ideas to cover a kennel in a cool way? I need that as bad as I need to cover the surge protector. Talk about eyesores. Geez. J




Whew! That’s all I got right now. I am in the midst of another project on a daybed (OMG!! SO excited!), but more on that later! Any other must-do DIY projects out there? Isn’t it the most relaxing thing? I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment